Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pre-Marathon Thoughts

It's just two days until I go after my next marathon: Philadelphia.  I am excited to measure where my training has gotten me to and really see what I am capable of in this upcoming race.  I have been logging the miles and putting in the workouts.  I have already hit my Boston Qualifying mark of 3:05 this past September and am registered for the Spring.  This race is all about improving on my 3:03 PR and seeing how far I can bring it down.  In my build-up for Philly, I ran the Hartford Half Marathon in mid-October.  I did not know what to expect with this race.  My recovery period had gone well after the Lehigh Valley Marathon and I had some confidence after gaining a BQ time.  I ran the most consistent half marathon of my life.  My last 5k was my best 5k.  I finished in 1:20:38 (6:09 pace).  This changed the goal for Philly and my mindset going in.  I started doing my workouts faster and focused in on my pace during my long runs.  My new goal became a low 2:50 marathon.  I would like to get as close to this mark as I can and try to break it.  Philadelphia provides me with an opportunity to do this.  I believe that if the weather is good, on the fast and flat course, this is a real possibility.

My training has gone well since Hartford.  I had a small hamstring injury that affected me the week after the race but has since healed.  I had a few good workouts where I looked for consistency running faster than marathon pace.  The last week of October I put in two quality workouts.  I ran a 10 x Freeman Hill workout in Providence.  I progressed through each repeat, getting faster as I went.  I then ran a 6 mile tempo at 6:00 pace on the East Bay Bike Path just two days later.  That week concluded with my longest run in the build-up: a 22 miler.  I was up in southern New Hampshire on October 28th so I went down to Lowell, MA to do this run on the Bay State Marathon course.  This is where I ran my first marathon and I thought it might be good to turn back to my roots for this run.  I ran conservatively during the first of two 10.2 mile loops and split 1:12:35 (7:06 pace).  I then gradually picked up the pace during the second half.  I finished the second loop in 1:07:55 (6:39 pace).  My last 5 miles were in 32:14 (6:27 pace) which is just under marathon pace where I wanted to be.  I then did a quick cool-down to get to 22 for the day.  I totaled 98.5 miles for the week of 10/22 to 10/28.  The following week was just as productive, as I reached 92.5 miles.  I did a mid-week track workout of 6 x 1 mile.  My splits were: 6:00, 6:01, 5:52, 5:56, 5:56, 5:52.  I again sought to keep a steady pace during the workout and try and make it feel as comfortable as possible.  My other workout for the week was 10 x 2:00 hard, 2:00 rest.  I felt strong during this workout and pushed the tempo portions.  I then ran a little over 18 miles on Sunday, November 4th.  My goal was to run 6:30 pace for the last 5 miles.  I, instead, averaged 6:30 pace for the entire run.  I started in the 6:40 range and worked down from there.  It felt comfortable and I had plenty left at the end of the run, hitting splits of 6:15, 6:08 and 5:51 for my last 3 miles.  Awesome!  I probably should have taken this run easier, but what a confidence builder!  I can hold this kind of pace this weekend.  Last week, I brought my mileage down to 76 and I started to feel fresh legs as I began to cut back.  My big workout for the week was 3 x 2 miles.  I ran the repeats in 11:57, 12:05 and 12:05.  It was on a very windy day at the Brown Stadium track.  My weekend long run was 14.5 miles and I kept the pace consistent, averaging 6:52 pace.  Taper week has been fun!  I am looking to be around 70-75 miles, including the marathon.  I did a 5 mile tempo in 30:00 on Tuesday to keep the legs fresh. 

While I have highlighted my workouts and long runs in this post, I want to stress the importance of easy running.  All of my other days, with my mileage goals in the 90 range, include several days where I run twice but keep the pace easy.  Examples include 10/6 mile doubles.  I stay around 7:00 a mile and really give my body a chance to recover between workouts.  My marathon plan is about creating cumulative fatigue.  I have been tired, very tired in this build-up.  I have not, however, been broken or pushed too far.  I have played things close to this line and maybe even touched it.  The goal is to use the long runs to simulate the later stages of the marathon.  Because I have been able to put in quality long runs, often holding marathon pace at points during them, I am confident that I can put together a good race.  I am ready for Philly and am looking to "race" the marathon.  My goal is to break 2:50 or go as close to it as possible.  I have done the work.  I have put in the time.  I have put all of my efforts into training.  This weekend is an opportunity that I am looking to take.  It is time to see my hard work pay off.  Good luck to everyone out there this weekend!  Go out and get after it!

Run Happy,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment