Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Art of the Long Run

Whether you are training for a distance from the 5k to the marathon and beyond, the long run remains one of the most important workouts for any runner.  The long run helps to build endurance and prepares you to excel at your goal race.  In my current build-up for the Boston Marathon, I have placed a high importance on getting in a quality, weekly long run.  Over the past fifteen weeks, I have averaged 85-90+ miles a week, hitting triple digits twice.  Many of my training days involve a high number of miles and lengthy workouts.  The long run, however, receives my full attention each week in its planning and execution.  I like to do my long runs every Sunday.  Here is what I totaled across the last fifteen weeks:15, 16.5, 17.2, 18, 12.4 (down week), 17.6, 14.3 (5k race, doubled), 21.3, 16.5, 18, 20.6, 22, 17 (half marathon), 18, 18.  You can see that early on in the plan, I built my long run from 15 to 18 miles before having a down week.  After that, I was up close to 18 again before running a 5k race.  I then went over 20 miles for the first time.  I put in a solid stretch where I was over 20 miles in 3 out of 5 weeks.  I topped out at 22 miles during this cycle and ran 18 miles three weeks and then two weeks out from Boston.  What does all of this tell us?  Nothing!  A closer examination is needed to see what helps to give me an edge from this weekend workout.  The first step is acknowledging that the long run is, in fact, a workout day.  My running philosophy is that, in order to hold marathon pace come race day, you need to practice running at that pace in your long run.  This is why the long run is so important.  There are other workouts, such as tempo runs and strength workouts (ex: 3 x 2 miles) that help with pacing.  The long run, however, provides an opportunity to run at distances close to the marathon where you can simulate how you will feel during the marathon.  My goal for the Boston Marathon is to try and run in the low 2:40 range.  A 2:40 marathon averages 6:06/mile.  This brings up the most important point I want to make.  Practice running at goal marathon pace in your long run.  Increase the pace of your long runs.  Many people will tells you to go out and run 1-2:00 minutes a mile slower than what you expect to hold in the marathon.  Think about this.  For someone want to hold 6:53 a mile and break the 3 hour marathon barrier, you would be doing your long runs between 7:53 and 8:53 pace.  I think this is much too slow.  Yes, you will gain endurance but you are teaching your body to run at a slower pace.  I would much rather see an athlete be closer to :30 seconds to 1:00 from their goal pace.  You should run comfortably hard during your long runs.  The goal of the weekly long run, however, is not to take so much out of you that it affects your next week of training.  It is important, as always, to find balance in training.  Try alternating weeks where you do a fast finish long run one week and you run steady the next (this can be 1-2:00 slower than goal MP).  A fast finish long run simply means that you run at a steady pace until the last 3-6+ miles.  In the finishing miles, the goal is to increase your pace to marathon pace and then hold it late in the run.  Teach your body what marathon pace feels like and then try to drop under marathon pace for the last couple of miles.  This is a tough workout and I would not encourage doing this every week.  I would incorporate it into training once or twice a month in a marathon build-up.  The benefits of making it through faster long runs are substantial.  You will have spent more time running closer to marathon pace at distances that are close to the full 26.2 miles.  Also, consider the confidence that you can bring with you to the start line.  I have run a number of sub-6:00 miles at the end of 16, 18, and 20+ mile runs.  This is a good feeling!  When I get into the late stages of the race at Boston, I will know that I have run fast deep into several previous runs.  I hope this philosophy for the long run makes some sense.  Treat the long run as a workout day.  Focus on pacing.  Run at a pace you can sustain but do not be afraid to pick it up towards the end and see what you have left in you.  Then, take this confidence with you after running strong at the end of your long runs.  This will help take some of the pressure off of yourself when racing.  You will know you have put in the work.  You will know what race pace feels like and that you can maintain it late into the race.  With anything, practice this in moderation and remember to place an emphasis on recovery too.  Take your easy days easy.  Good luck to everyone running spring races and see if attacking the long run a little faster in training will be beneficial for you!  Find what works best for you!

See you at Boston,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment