Sunday, June 12, 2016

Portland Track Festival- 4:56 mile FTW

Just a quick recap:

The night was perfect- low 60s, cloudy, little wind. I left Eugene at 3:15 pm, figuring it would take me an hour and forty-five minutes to get to the track at Lewis and Clark College right outside of Portland. I hit three separate accidents on my way up and got there at 6 pm. I luckily had another friend in the race and he grabbed my bib for me. I definitely was feeling a lot of anxiety the last hour and a half of the car ride and now only had 20 minutes to get ready for the mile.

I usually like to warmup for 20 minutes before a 5k race or shorter. I did what I could and jogged an easy 1.25 miles in 11:00. I went straight into drills and took no time in between them. I did on stride, put on my spikes, and went straight to the start line. Just like that, the gun went off. I was in the Community Mile and the field was supposed to be a little bigger than it was. There were only three of us. I had my friend with me who is in similar fitness and then there was a masters woman (to her credit she broke 6:00!).

My friend took things out and we went through 409m in 75-mid. Any thought at a mile in the 4:40s went out the window on the first lap. It had turned tactical already with just the two of us running. The next lap was a 76, as we went through 809m in 2:31-mid. I knocked out 4 x 800 averaging 2:30 a few weeks back. With 600m to go, I took the lead and started to push the pace. I split 73 for the third lap. On the final lap I continued to press. I felt strong but my legs started to feel it in the last 200. I could not close as well as I wanted to but still managed a 71 second last lap. My last 800m was in 2:24 but the opening 2:31 meant a 4:56 mile. I wanted to be faster in this one but I had some bad luck getting to the race and you can only race who shows up. I ended up putting 7 seconds on my friend in the last 600m which is solid.

For the win, I got a Portland Track Festival backpack and a 22 of craft beer! So practical! I would recommend this meet to anyone. The race director let me register after the official deadline had passed. It was well organized. The commentator was calling out our splits for all of the spectators to hear. It was a fun time! I'm happy I went up and competed! I just wish I hadn't rolled out of a car after three hours of driving and onto the track. There's plenty more in the tank. This is just the start to my outdoor season!

Next up will be an All Comers 1500 in Eugene on 7/14. The goal here is to run something equivalent to a mile in the 4:40s. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment