Monday, December 30, 2019

2020 Goal Setting

Time:
5k- sub-16:30, sub-16:15, sub-16:00
10k- sub-35:00, sub-34:30, sub-34:00
half- sub-1:16:40, sub-1:16:00, sub-1:15
marathon- sub-2:40

Goal Races:
5/11 US 25k Champs
9/29 Berlin Marathon

Fun:
Run a beer mile
Run a cross country race
Run an ultra marathon
Complete a triathlon (any distance)

-----

This is what I put up at the start of 2019. I came pretty close to my goals. I ran 16:20 for 5k, didn't run a 10k, ran 1:16:03 for the half (chose Indy 1/2 over the 25k Champs), and ran a 2:42 marathon with a pretty close to broken bone in my foot after not running for basically two weeks before the race. I forgot to have fun apparently. I did not cross off any of those goals but, to be honest, going for the bottom two at least would have meant very different training.

Here are my 2020 goals:

Mile- sub-Kipchoge's MP (4:33.8)
5k- sub-16:00
10k- sub-34:00, as close to 33 as you can go
half-  sub-1:15, sub-1:14, as low as you can go
marathon- sub-2:40, as close to 2:35 as you can go

Goal Races:

Winter: Austin 3M Half Marathon
Spring: Shamrock 8k, Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, BAA 5k, Indy Mini 1/2
Summer: 1 5k (tbd), 1 10k (tbd), Fulton St. Mile
Fall: Run Mag Mile 10k, Chicago Marathon
Winter: Club XC

Not a ton more to say. I'm usually too ambitious with goals. I've been recycling a lot of the same goal times for years. I will say that this year should be a bit different. I always say sub-16 but then train for marathons and wonder why I can't run fast over 5k. I popped a 16:20 off of half marathon training and then a month of mile/5k work. With focus on the shorter stuff this year, I think I might be able to finally give 16:00 a go. I'll have a really good opportunity at the BAA 5k. If I don't get it there, I'll take another crack at it in June.

I'm also going to try to focus less on time to better focus on time. I coached college cross country last fall and I learned from the head coach that time isn't everything. We divided races into four parts as a team: getting off the line, finding your rhythm, maintaining, and finishing strong. There is an optional 5th part we dubbed "catching bodies" to explain your finishing kick. I used this framework in Berlin after I thought all hope was lost and ended up putting a decent race together on the day. By focusing on my rhythm and maintaining in the second half of the race, I got to 23 miles at sub-2:40 pace. I came really close to that barrier when I hadn't run in two weeks and was fighting through an injury. I hope to get fit this spring, relax more in races, and let the times come naturally. With that said, I am going to train for the above times and try to improve as much as I can in 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment