Sunday, July 26, 2015

Improving

It's been a long time since I could title something, "Improving." It has been a rough two years of running and I am still basically right around where I was in Spring of 2013. I opened my summer racing season two weeks ago with a 4:39 1500m and then followed it up with a 2:19 800m. I was not overly aggressive in the 1500m because I did not want to go out too fast. The result was that I went out too slow but was happy to kick for my last 400m in 68-high. With better tactics, I felt that I could be closer to 4:30 than 4:40. My next race came this past Thursday.

(beautiful evening at the track)
I wanted to make sure to get out a little quicker and did so. I went through the opening 400m in 72-73. This is what I wanted to do! The only problem was that I was running in the middle of the lead pack and the back pack by myself. I had nobody to help out with the pace. I slowed, running by myself to go through 800 in 2:28 or so and 1100 in 3:25. Two weeks ago I went through 800 in 2:30 and 1100 in 3:30. I worked hard to run my last lap in 70 seconds. I kicked well over the final 200. My finish pace was 4:55 which is a little quicker than the 4:57 I ran two years ago, albeit for a shorter distance. The weather was good but not great for the 7:05 start. It was windy and 80 degrees. One positive of this race was that I was not passed during this race except during the opening 200 when we were settling into the race. The downside is that my pace lagged over the middle laps where I had nobody to help with the pace or push me. I do not think I will have another opportunity to run 1500m this summer but feel that I could go sub-4:30 in the right race. Next week I want to run the 2 mile because I feel comfortable at my 1500m pace and do not feel that I will lose a lot with four more laps added. The weather is supposed to be very warm this coming Thursday so I might make a decision not to run. I do have a road 10k and 5k coming up in August to help test my fitness. I am hoping for some PRs. The training will then turn to more strength work with a goal fall half marathon and some XC races! I have not run XC since high school but think it will suit me well.

After the race last Thursday I hit the practice track by Hayward Field for 4 x 800m. My splits were 2:43, 2:42, 2:38, 2:36. It is a very Oregon thing to go for a workout after a race. Hopefully this helps give me some strength. It made for a tough but rewarding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment