Saturday, November 28, 2015

Eugene EWEB Race Report

I titled a blog post from July as, "Back on Track." I think that would have been more fitting for this posting. In the summer, I worked myself into good shape from the 1500 through the 10k. These are distances that I still need to work on but I was happy this summer to be running at full health and seeing steady improvement. I was excited about building up for a fall half marathon. I decided to only focus on the half marathon this fall before making any plans to attempt a full. My goal race for the fall was the Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon in mid-October. After two mediocre cross country 5k races in the buildup- 17:57 & 17:44- I went down to Humboldt.

I did put in some solid workouts so I was feeling optimistic that a 1:16-17 time would be doable. My final time: 1:24:05. That's where I was in the summer of 2012. My plan for the race was to open in 6:00 or so and then try to bring it down. I went 6:05, 5:55, and then got progressively slower throughout the race. I have no idea why my body did not respond that day. I did a 10 mile tempo in 60:00 during the buildup and felt comfortable that whole time. It comes to raceday and I can only hold that same pace for two. It was definitely a discouraging result after clawing my way back to full health. I was left with a choice: end my season with some easy running or build to another half marathon. If folks know me, there was really only one option.

I had five weeks in between races and picked training right back up where I left it prior to Humboldt. In five weeks, I crushed workouts that gave me more and more confidence that I could put together a good race. My progression included:

2 miles 11:18, 4 x 800m in 2:45, 2 x 400m in 74, 72
10 x 1k averaging 3:37 with short rest on bark (slower surface)
4 mile XC race- 24:10, 8k XC race 29:51- not quick average paces but very good considering the terrain
14 mile long run- 6:30 pace, last mile 5:45; 12.3 mile progression run- 6:23 pace, last mile 5:45
2 x 4 miles in 23:45, 23:32 (5 mile run in between sets)
2 x (2k, 1k, 1k) in 7:14, 3:25, 3:26, 7:11, 3:24, 3:21, 4 x 400m in 77, 75, 75, 72
4 mile tempo 23:20

I jammed in a lot of quality efforts over five weeks and signed up for the Eugene EWEB Half Marathon. The morning of the race was a little chilly but ideal for racing- low 30s and no wind. The course mainly ran on flat bike paths. In the opening quarter mile of the race I found myself behind an elite woman from Team Run Eugene. A male pacer stepped in with her and they told me they were looking to average 6:00 pace or so and then try to work things down. The field in front of us was just moving a little too quick for me so if I did not run with them I would have been by myself which would have made for a tougher day. Ideally, I would have wanted 5:50-55 pace for a shot at a 1:16 half. I chose to stay with that group and by 4-5 miles we had a pack of 6. We were clipping off miles in 5:55-6:00. I was feeling strong and tucked myself in behind the pacer. By 8 miles, our pack was down to 4, with two falling off the pace. I started to get a little side stitch but fought it off over the next two miles. I took a gel a little after 9 and by 10 I had a little more pop in me. We went through 10 miles in 59:35. This is a solid mark. I wanted to be a little quicker because this comes out to a 1:18 half but I was happy to be racing. After a mile closer to 5:50 from 10-11 I broke up our pack of four and separated with another male runner. I kept pressing and gapped him by 12. At 12.5 he moved in front of me and had me by a couple of steps until 13. At 13 I made a decisive move to kick past him for the finish line. I finished four seconds up on him and 14 on the elite woman runner who ran a great race to win! My final time was 1:17:50 (5:56 pace)- good for 6th overall and 3rd in my age group. I ran my last 5k in 18:15 which is 5:52 pace and would come out to 1:17:00 for a half marathon. It is encouraging that my last 5k was my fastest. It was also encouraging to race in a pack of six and come across the finish line as the first runner.

1:17:50 stands as my new PR. If I could somehow double that, it would be 2:35 marathon pace. 1:17 is a time I thought was attainable in the fall of 2013. It took two years, some injuries, and battle with feeling lightheaded in training, to finally put together a good race. Everything clicked for me last Sunday. I finally broke through and ran a half marathon that would indicate something comparable to a 2:40 marathon. It is encouraging that I felt the way I did at the end of the race. That gives me confidence moving forward. My fall season is now coming to a close (one 10k XC race left) but there is plenty to be excited about looking ahead to 2016. I ran a qualifier for the NYC half marathon. That will be the goal spring half before tackling a full marathon. I think I can run 1:15/2:37 this spring. I'm going to leave it at that. It doesn't always make sense for someone like me to keep training the way I do. I'm nowhere near elites who drop sub-1:05 half marathons. I would say sub-elites might range from 72 and down. The goal is to get there and see how far I can take it. I'm not a runner who started with a lot of natural talent. My first 5k was in over 24:00. My first half marathon was in 1:45. I'm just trying to get better every day and keep moving away from where I started. 1:17 gives me the motivation to keep going. It validates years of hard work. It showed me what can be possible. I'm ready for what 2016 has to throw at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment