Monday, April 2, 2012

The Marathon Beard: It's a thing!

(Hopkinton to Boston)
With just two weeks to go until the Boston Marathon, I will be tapering and making sure that I am able to stand on the start line in Hopkinton ready to go.  This past week, I nailed a great 2 x 6 mile workout with the repeats in 40:55 and 40:40 (6:49 and 6:46).  The target was 10 seconds faster than goal marathon pace.  I also completed my simulator workout on course, running miles 6-23.  I was lucky enough to have someone (Serge) out there with me, helping me take in fluids throughout the run.  I averaged a 6:48 pace for 17.5 miles.  The run included the infamous hills of Newton and I previewed Heartbreak for the first time.  The hills did not seem to be worse than anything I have gone up in Providence (Smith Hill shout out).  I now know that I am ready for my first Boston.  There is nothing more I can do in training at this point.  I am going to be restless for the next two weeks, with my mileage steadily being cut.  It is an exciting time for me right now and I cannot wait for Boston! 

Runners are one of the most superstitious groups of people, myself included.  There is one essential items that I need to ensure that I have to give me confidence come race day.  I keep a CD, called Love and Politics by the Franchize in my running bag.  It fell into my possession following a trip to New York City.  It is some of the worst music I have ever heard, but it is important enough for me to keep with my running stuff.  It is a rap album, that the artist advertised to us as a jazz album on a random street corner.  Another supersition I have going on right now is the growing out of my "marathon beard."  I started to grow it out in March, prior to the New Bedford Half Marathon.  Since that point, I have found success in many of my workouts leading into Boston.  The "marathon beard" has to be a thing because so many greats have gone this route as well:

(Forrest)

(100 yr. old marathoner)




(Ryan Hall)


These famous people have some pretty awesome beards.  I am in some good company here.  The main point that I want to stress is that the next two weeks will have me in a constant panic.  Every time I take a step, I will think that I just pulled a muscle.  I will be obsessive over what I eat and drink.  I will be checking the weather religiously over the next two weeks.  In short, I demand nothing short of perfection.  Things will be crazy at times, but I just need to keep telling myself that I am ready. 

Run Happy,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment