Saturday, April 14, 2012

Relax, Relax, Relax, Calm, Calm, Calm.

How would I describe the Boston Marathon Expo?  It's basically a springtime Christmas for runners.  I went into Boston to pick up my number this morning and now am feeling nervous/excited/more nervous/more excited for Monday.  The Expo was a blast!  Every single big name running store (and small name too) was there urging each runner to come get the latest gear and shoes on the market.  There were all sorts of protein bars, energy bars, and recovery drinks to try out as well.  I also attended a Power Bar seminar that featured American 50k record holder Josh Cox, runner-up at Boston in 2011 and Olympian Marathoner Desiree Davila, and two-time World Iron Man Champion Tim DeBoom.  The seminar was also conducted by Runners World Editor Bart Yasso.  It was great to hear the insights from these elite athletes about proper fueling and on the Boston course in general.  The advice that they shared was quite simple.  Do not: try anything new leading up to or on race day.  Any items you purchased at the expo should be saved for the weeks after the race.  There has also been a lot of talk about the weather at this year's race.  These running champions emphasized to be careful, but also to enjoy the race.  Josh Cox's advice on the marathon really stuck with me.  He explained: when you feel good early in a marathon, hold back, when you feel good a second time, hold back, when you feel good a third time, hold back.  When then, I found myself asking, do you go for it?  Josh expressed that if you can still feel good well after 20 miles, then you can pick up your pace and push towards the finish line.  Desi shared the same views.  For her, it is important to run your own race.  She also provided an interesting insight on running uphill: you are using a different muscle group than when you are pounding the downhills.  Desi further shared her mantra: Relax, relax, relax, calm, calm, calm.  This is a great thing to remind yourself in all the excitement that will be at Boston.  I do not know how my body will respond to the heat on Monday.  I am in great marathon shape, and pursuing a time under 3:05.  I did learn today to let the race come to me on Monday and to enjoy it.  You only get to run the Boston Marathon for the first time once!  This is going to be one of the best experiences of my life.  If things do not fully go according to plan, there will be other marathons and times to beat.  With that being said, I cannot pass off this opportunity to chase a dream.  The race should and will be the fun part!  Anyway, I hear there's going to be a tailwind on Monday!

(Me with Josh Cox)
(Gebre)
(Me and Desi)


No comments:

Post a Comment